Prepare future leaders with ethical values and skills to contribute.to the sustainable development and management of various ecosystems while contributing to a prosperous and equitable society.
- Vision Statement
Building a future in which all ecosystems (forest, savanna, dry forests) and its communities achieve social, economic and environmental wellbeing.
Human and ethical development, academic excellence, social consciousness, research in applied knowledge, sustainable development, biodiversity conservation, improvement of livelihood, reduction of poverty among vulnerable layers.
- Train and develop skillful and competent professionals for Agroforestry, Climate change, Environmental Health Science and Environmental Impact Assessment.
- Ensure that its graduates are not marginalized in the knowledge and expertise required for the management of modern global environmental companies and organizations.
- Provide a broad-based adult and continuing education for the knowledge society in Cameroon and Africa.
The programme aims at engendering critical thinking abilities in students and to address the real life challenges of Environmental Sustainability and Management by building change agent capacities of students who operate within myriad institutional and other contexts. The programme is interdisciplinary and problem solving oriented. Throughout the course, emphasis is placed.on how theoretical concepts are translated to solve nagging, societal problems. Reference will often be made to international best management models/practices.
The goals of the program are to:
1) Provide academic opportunities and experiential learning to the graduates
2) Meet the demand for higher academic training at the graduate level
3) Provide graduates with knowledge, skills and attitudes to function as Environmental Sustainability and Management experts
4) Provide graduates with leadership and team building skills
5) Expose graduates to global and best management practices in Environmental Sustainability and Management Issues.
Objectives of the degree program
The Higher Institute of Environmental Sciences (HIES) is developing as a multi-disciplinary program with courses selected from the fundamental Science subjects such as Physical Sciences, Arts and Social Sciences. The ultimate aim is to expose students to Environmental Sciences so they will acquire skills and technologies to understand and manage environment for present and future generations. The objectives of the Bachelor Master Program are to:
1) Develop critical thinking and problem solving skills ;
2) Enable graduates to apply skills and concepts to protect and manage the different ecosystems ;
3) Equip graduates with skills to develop new environmental exchange agent capacities, help them operate within myriad institutional and other context ;
4) Use quantitative methods and technology’to support problem analysis and decision-making ;
5) Provide students with technical knowledge and skills in understanding and mitigating environmental problems.
IBAYSUP campus offers an ideal environnement for studies. The only noise that could be heard within the environment is from many birds residing in the forest surrounding the campus. The campus which covers over 4000 m2 comprises 30 classrooms, 2 Laboratories, an infirmary, a computer room with over 20 computers and a satellite VSAT for a 24/24h internet connection. The campus has restaurant, staff office, a library, playground (under!construction) and 2000 m2 experimental plot for practical lessons and a school bus.
IBAY Sup is an innovative joint program that combines the unique strengths of University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) in USA, University of Gent in Belgium and Universities of Yaounde I and the university of Dschang in Cameroon to enhance environmental management and leadership capacity in the tropics, by offering cutting edge learning and networking opportunities aimed at improving the conservation/management of tropical forests and the human welfare they sustain.
Key partner universities are:
- UNIVERSITY OF YAOUNDE 1 AND
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES
- (USA)UNIVERSITY OF GHENT (BELGUM)
- UNIVERSITY OF DSCHANG,
- UNIVERSITY OF BUEA (CAMEROON)